- One of the applicants is required to be a Morrow County resident. The license can be used immediately anywhere in the State of Ohio.
- If NEITHER applicant reside in the State of Ohio, then they MAY APPLY for a license in the Morrow County Probate Court, but the license MUST be used in Morrow County. The applicants must provide proof that the ceremony is going to take place in Morrow County. Proof of the ceremony must be presented at the time you apply for your marriage license.
- Each applicant must be eighteen (18) years of age or older.
- If either of the applicants are under the age of eighteen (18) please contact the Court at 419-947-5575 to obtain additional information about the requirements to obtain a marriage license.
- BOTH APPLICANTS MUST BE PRESENT at the Probate Court to complete the application.
- The application fee for obtaining a marriage license is $40.00 cash or check ONLY.
- Applicants must have a currant/valid picture ID/driver’s license. If your current address is NOT the address on your ID/driver’s license, please provide the Court with a piece of current mail showing your present address (both applicants must show proof of their current address). Additionally, each applicant shall know their place of birth, occupation, full name of father, mother's maiden name and the name of the person who is expected to solemnize the marriage.
- If either applicant has been previously married, you must bring ALL Final Divorce Decrees.
- If either applicant is widowed, a certified copy of the death certificate must be presented to the Court.
- If the person performing the ceremony is an ordained or licensed individual with a religious affiliation, they MUST be registered with the State of Ohio, through the Secretary of State’s Office PRIOR to performing your ceremony.
- The marriage license is valid when issued and there is no required waiting period between its issuance and the marriage ceremony.
- ALL MARRIAGE LICENSES MUST BE USED WITHIN 60 DAYS OF ISSUANCE AND RETURNED TO THE PROBATE COURT WITHIN 30 DAYS OF THE MARRIAGE DATE.
- No blood tests or witnesses are required in Ohio.
- Probate Court hours are 8:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday through Friday. Please arrive no later than 3:50 pm to ensure adequate time to prepare your application and answer your questions.
- The Probate Court is located on the 3rd floor of the Morrow County Courthouse, 48 East High Street, Mount Gilead, OH 43338.
Updated 5/21/19 sc